Thursday, September 6, 2007

Happy Greet Your Neighbor Week!

A Catholic Prayer For A Charitable Heart

Well, well, well. We were greeted at our door by a neighbor this morning carrying a dozen roses. I didn't even know her. Being fairly new to the neighborhood I was glad she wasn't selling something for her church.

Virgin Mary"Hi! I am Mrs. Church. I live down the street. Would you like a rose in honor of 'Greet Your Neighbor Week?'"

What generosity. What a sincere gift. That is why the next part was strange.


She wanted to leave immediately. I tried to talk to her but she wasn't interested. It was as if she did her duty, now I must go. My wife didn't have time to pick up the little one from the high chair and get to the door.

So, a very charitable act left us feeling confused instead of welcomed. It made me think. A charitable act must have the act of the will and the heart in order to bear the top yields. Our neighbor bore fruit of lets say 30 bushels when she could have yields in the hundreds.

This Made Me Think

This is exactly how I parent. I could go further with illustrations, examples, scriptural support etc..., but I think you get the point.

Let us ask Our Lady to help us have a charitable heart.

What do you think? Do you have any examples? Post your comments below.

No comments: