Wednesday, January 14, 2009

The Three Fold Fruits of Jesus' Baptism

My Dear People,

Why Was Jesus Baptized?

We draw to a close the Christmas season with the Baptism of Our Lord? Did Jesus need to be baptized? The answer would be NO. Jesus chose to be baptized by His cousin John, in obedience to His Father's Divine Will. John the Baptist states, "One mightier than I is coming after me. I am unworthy to untie His sandal straps." The shortest Gospel, Mark, tells us afterward a voice was heard from the Heavens saying, "this is my beloved Son in whom I am well pleased; listen to Him." The Father's intense love for the Son is found here. This same filial love is expressed by Jesus hanging upon the Holy Cross. What great love Jesus models for us by pouring our His Blood for us. And Jesus begins His Mission after coming out of the Jordan River.

What Our Lord teaches us here is threefold. First and foremost, we must always seek the Father's Will for us. Second, we must always know how intensely the Father loves each of us. Lastly, we must express the Father's Love for us in love of our neighbor. This fraternal love is the litmus test for our true devotion to Our Lord. And it all begins for us at the Baptismal Font. Called by name, Jesus gives us all of the tools we need to consummate the Divine Task of our life. Pray to invest and use your Baptismal gifts wisely.

Entrusting you to the care of Our Lady,
Fr. Mark

5 comments:

Easter Almuena said...

Love those reasons! Especially the firs one, though not easy to follow. But we must, and NOT be complacent. Wonderful post, John Michael!

p.s. I bet your baby is crawling by now! :-)

John Michael said...

Thanks Easter.

Little Gianna is not crawling yet.

I owe you a picture. She is absolutely darling.

JMJ

Kathy ~TOG said...

I also love this post but I really like the "three fold fruits"!

These are powerful words we should contemplate everyday.

Thank you for reminding me!

God bless...

John Michael said...

Kathy,

Father is truly a great priest. You can see why he is my boy's God Father.

Peace!

Anonymous said...

I should email my friend about this.