Sunday, November 9, 2008

Overcoming The Capital Sins - Humble Prayers

As a follow-up to his Overcoming the Capital Sins; Joe Fromm, Good Jesuit, Bad Jesuit & A Catholic Man, came up with these efficacious prayers. Excellent work! It so good I wonder if his first prayer is "borrowed" from some writing of the saints?

Contemplating the joys of virtue and the evils of the capital sins are a most for those serious about going deeper into the spiritual life. Take a fewminutes to prayerfully read both post.


Colloquy on the Seven Deadly Sins and Their Contrary Virtues

Dear Lord,
how many inequities are mine? Dear Lord, how will I know my offences? Unless, you give me the grace to see.


Dear Lord,
my pride has never been acceptable to you, neither has my strength or my desire for multitudes. But my prayers of humility and meekness are your oil, in the lamp of my soul, which you Lord, light, so that I may not live in darkness. God of heaven, God of the sea and Lord of all creation, I presume your mercy, as you presume my contrition, meekness and humility.

Dear Lord,
my greed propped up with my vanity only produces riches that bear no fruit. Lord, teach me your ways and lead me to your orchard’s path. So that the fruits I pick are of Your harvest and what I do not need, let me cheerfully give to another.

Dear Lord,
you created me in your perfect image and likeness, but by the envy of darkness, death came into the world. If I choose to follow that darkness I shall truly perish. Lord, send forth Your light and Your truth will lead me to the holy hill and there I await the light in your tabernacle. Lord You so loved the world that you sent Your only begotten Light. If I believe and follow your Light, I shall truly have everlasting life.


Dear Lord,
my anger is a sign of the bitterness, indignation, clamor and blasphemy. Lord let not the sun go down upon my malice, consider and hear me O Lord. Let the sun rise and enlighten my eyes, so that I will never sleep in death. At the birth of your Son was the moment of forgiveness of me. With your gift of true liberty, my mercifulness, forgiveness and kindness are the birth of emboldened liberty for my enemies.

Dear Lord,
you created love, for your sake alone, not for lewdness or to sicken my flesh. Lord make your will known to me, for my soul seeks a path to you. Lord strengthen my heart with courage, resolve and with a brave nobility, that in purity I find your strength and blessing.


Dear Lord,
because I have and will hate your gifts, I will reach out my hand first, fill my mouth the fastest, and take another’s seat. Lord as You stand before me and ask me what I find truly nourishing. Give me the grace to respond, “That I see thee.” Lord your gifts I shall find in the open meadows with green herbs in abundance and the harvest I shall gather in your mountains. I shall reap only what I need for my house and show others direction to your bounty.


Dear Lord,
my fields and vineyards are filled with prickly nettles and my fence has fallen. Lord, have mercy on me and show me the light of your salvation, so that I may tend your fields and vineyards and when my energy has been spent, give me a place to rest where I can fold my hands. When I arise I shall with a strengthened heart, repair your fallen fence.



Dear Lord,
with your gift of my true liberty, I shall desire by your grace to conquer vice with overwhelming virtue. May your hand touch all things I touch. Dear Lord with your gift of my will, I shall desire by grace the perseverance to conquer my desire to do evil and my repugnance for good, with your grace to conquer vice with overwhelming desire to love as you love and as I love your more, I may be loved less. Dear Lord with your gift of remembrance, I shall desire life long lessons that shall strengthen my resolve to seek virtue with overwhelming humility and meekness. By your grace You allow me to forget my transgressions so that I will retain my nobility to serve you bravely.


Amen

JMJ

Joe Fromm, Good Jesuit, Bad Jesuit & A Catholic Man

3 comments:

Marie said...

"But my prayers of humility and meekness are your oil, in the lamp of my soul."

These prayers are so beautiful thankyou John Michael. I am going to print them out for my blogsphere Wisdom scrap book.

God bless you always:)

Marie:)

John Michael said...

Yes, Joseph did an excellent job.

Peace,
JM

Joseph Fromm said...

Thank you both for your kind words.
The prayer is a reflection personalized from scripture at the time that I was under Jesuit spiritual direction.

JMJ

Joe